Wednesday, September 15, 2010

That girl

I've never been that girl. You know the one. The girl who gets asked to the prom by so many people she has to decline invitations. The girl that spends an hour every morning getting ready for work so that her makeup is perfect and her hair lays just right. I've never been the girl that gets a drink purchased for her at the club. My sisters are good examples of this girl. They are beautiful and boys pratically trip over themselves to get a closer look or to talk to them. I've never been that girl.

This week something weird happened to me. I was approached by someone I considered a friend and told that he was developing feelings for me. I was flabbergasted. Then he asked me if I felt the same. Shock turned into feeling flattered and that quickly turned into a queasiness. This friend is married. I am married. This is inappropriate.

I quickly nipped anything negative in the bud. I love my husband. I vent about things that happen because I occasionally need to get things off my chest. I've learned to shut my mouth. Perhaps I vented a bit too much. I don't know really know what exactly I did to give my friend the wrong impression. I wish I could take it back because now things are weird. I don't want them to be weird. He's a really nice guy.

I also realized something that day. I'm married and not dead. Sometimes people are going to notice me, regardless of if I think they will or not. People are going to notice D also. This isn't necessarly a bad thing. If anything I think sharing what happened reminded D that I am a woman and that he's lucky to have me. That part was nice. It was nice to feel wanted. Even for just a moment in highly inappopriate circumstances. Maybe it will lead D to remember to want me in our appopriate marriage. It wasn't bad for the ego either.

No comments:

Post a Comment